Asian Chicken Meatballs- Whole30, Paleo
Key Words: Asian meatball, chicken meatball, Air fryer, family friendly
Eating out on the Whole30 isn't easy, but it is doable. However, some things are just off- limits because of all the ingredients that are typically in certain types of food. One of those being Asian type restaurants and food because it often has soy or tamari (gluten-free soy sauce), sometimes MSG and rice.
My favorite kind of food happens to be Asian inspired food, since doing the Whole30 my first time, realizing much of the ingredients in Asian inspired food (soy, rice, sodium) does not make me feel great, although I enjoy every bite of it. The ingredients, along with the high sodium content, I just try to avoid eating it out for the most part unless it is a special occasion. However, I was not going to just give up my favorite kinds of food, so I have had to make a Paleo-fied version of my favorites. One of those being dumplings... but how the heck do you make dumplings Paleo??
This is when I decided you could make the filling of the dumpling and a similar dipping sauce and it really does the trick!! Not exactly the same because lets be honest, nothing can compete with a fresh dumpling, but I have been loving these and hope you do too!
1 lbs ground chicken (pork or beef work too)
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
1 large green onion chopped
1/2 jalapeño finely diced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp coconut aminos
salt and pepper
Dipping Sauce Recipe
1/4 cup coconut aminos
1 Tbsp rice wine
1/2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
1/2 Tbsp green onion chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp red chili flakes
1/2 lime juice
1. Combine all meatball ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix gently until thoroughly combined. Be careful not to mix too much because it can make the meatballs dry.
2. Spray bottom of the air fryer, because they do stick. Use a small scoop, melon baller, or meat baller to make 1 inch diameter meatballs- 1 pound meat typically makes about 20 meatballs.
3. Place meatballs in an air fryer with about an inch in between each (may have to do a couple of rounds depending on the size of your air fryer).
4. Cook on 375 for about 10 minutes, making sure to flip half-way through.
5. While meatballs are cooking combine all ingredients for dipping sauce and mix together.
6. Serve with cauliflower rice, stir-fried veggies or alone as an appetizer!